If you are offering exploration services, the safety of your employees should be one of your top priorities. Why? Because working in the mine exposes your employees to all sorts of occupational health and safety hazards, from chemical, biological, and physical harm. So what should you do?
Well, the very first step to mitigating risks is to use only safe machines and encourage your employees to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) all the time. This blog highlights some reasons why safety should come first in mining. But first things first:
Why does safety matter?
All mines are obliged by federal law to adhere to specific safety regulations. People working in this industry put their lives at risk by agreeing to explore the earth. So, as a mining company, the least you can do is to value them. You can do that by ensuring that they undergo thorough safety training and use only safe machines. All miners have to do the following before going underground:
- All mining companies should provide clear instructions on what procedures employees need to follow.
- All employees have to receive mandatory training before they start exploring. This includes training them on using masks, gloves, PPE, and equipment.
- All employees should receive emergency training; this one goes without saying.
- All employees should wear the following PPE: safety glasses, helmets, respirators, earplugs, face shields, and so on.
Here are five reasons why safety should be a priority in mining:
1. The health of your employee should come first
Having a healthy team who can explore minerals for your company is one of the best investments. When your employees are healthy, they can put in more hours and explore more resources for your businesses. On the other hand, when most of your highly experienced employees file in sick, you’ll need to consider hiring replacements, which will cost you time and money to train them.
2. Maintaining safety protects mining companies from paying fines
When a mining company breaks specific rules, the government may issue hefty fines that cost a company millions of dollars. When you ensure that your employees are safe, you won’t worry about paying those fines.
3. Maintaining safety allows mining companies to maximize profit
Maximizing profit becomes relatively easy when a mining company uses only safe equipment to explore. You will worry less about substandard machines harming employees and focus more on developing best exploring ways. One way to do this is by buying safe mining machines and equipment from certified manufacturers.